Ergo Baby Carrier was “born” in Hawaii. The first designer, Karin Frost, wanted to be able to keep her child close while still doing life’s daily activities. The Original baby carrier has been redesigned several times to the most current version. I picked the Zebra print to try because I thought it would be fun to have a carrier with not just a solid color or picture print.
Ergo Baby Carrier, Original:
From the Ergo Baby website:
The first-in-line design that made our name, now in it’s third-generation, the Ergobaby Original Carrier has evolved to make it more comfortable than ever. Made of durable cotton canvas with high-density padding and straps that adjust for the perfect mutual fit. It is available in a variety of popular colors and as with all Ergobaby carriers, it keeps baby safe, close, and comfortable while providing you freedom of movement.
Features of the Original Ergo Baby Carrier, from the website:
- Balanced weight distribution: Evenly-managed baby weight between parent’s shoulders and hips for ultimate comfort
- Ergonomic: Proper facing-in spread-squat seating position supports baby’s hip, pelvis, and spinal development
- Carry positions: 3 positions – Front, Back, and Hip carry
- Carrier fit: Adults from 5’ to 6’5” body height (depending on body type, height range may differ).
- Usage Range: Carries babies from infancy (7 lbs. / 3.2 kg to 12 lbs. / 5.5 kg with Infant Insert) or up to 4-5 months to maximum 45lbs / 20kgs
- Carrier body: 100% cotton canvas
- Carrier lining: 100% cotton poplin
- Carrier weight: 1.52 lbs / 690 grams
- Sleeping Hood: Integrated, 100% cotton poplin with elastic edging and snap-to-strap attach. Supports baby’s head while sleeping and protects from sun and wind. Adjusts in length with 5 snap levels for growth of baby.
- Shoulder straps: Padded with 1” high-density premium foam, expanding from 24” to 45”
- Waist strap: Padded with 1/4” high-density EVA foam, expanding from 26” to 55”
- Chest strap: Sliding adjustment
- Fill: 100% cotton batting in body of carrier to soften edges
- Small zippered stuff pouch, doubles as Sleeping Hood storage
- Large zippered storage pocket holds your wallet, keys, and mobile phone
My measurements of the carrier:
- Width: 14.5 inches (measured at the top of the seat darts, about 3 inches from the top of the waist padding)
- Height: 14.5 inches
- Shoulder strap length: 25 inches of padded area + 20 inches of webbing
- Waist belt: 5 3/4 inches at the widest and 24 inches of padding. 55 inches of total length with webbing.
My Ergo Experience:
I was excited to try out the latest version of the Ergo Baby Carrier. I like how the Zebra carrier I got is understated Zebra stripes. It doesn’t scream animal print, but is nice black and white stripes. I got many compliments while wearing this carrier. The padding in the shoulder straps is quite thick and somewhat bulky, but not uncomfortable under the arms. There is a section of shoulder strap before the buckle that is unpadded that ends up under my arms, so it’s not bulky when I try to put my arms down. I mostly use back carriers for my 21 month/30+ pound toddler and this carrier was very comfortable with this carry. My guy likes to lean, so the back height isn’t as high as I would prefer, he can easily lean out the side of the carrier, slightly throwing off my balance depending on the force of his leaning action. I did try a front carry and it was fairly comfortable for the short time I used it. I tried using both the chest clip and criss crossing the straps. I found that it was fairly difficult to cross the straps and get them tight. I had to cross and buckle the straps first with the webbing as long as it would go, then slide my toddler in. This may have gone easier with a shorter child, but tightening the straps with them crossed with a little difficult as well. A second person would have made the process faster, but I eventually did accomplish the task of tightening the straps with them crossed. The hip carry with the Ergo was slightly awkward. I had to read the manufacturer directions to figure out how to do it on my own. The elastic loops that keep the webbing tied up come in handy for holding the straps in place while you get the buckle into position!
This carrier is well made and comfortable, even with my heavy toddler. I like the added width from previous versions, my child seems to sit down deeper in the seat and his legs are more supported. The height of the body, while taller than previous versions, is still shorter than I prefer for my toddler. This carrier would be great for petite toddlers or smaller babies. This carrier can be used with infants, however a separate infant insert is required. This new version also does not support the use of the old extender waist belts because the buckles are bigger. The waist belt I think is longer on this carrier than on older versions, so an extender may not be needed.
Where to Buy:
You can buy at the Ergo website or at an authorized retailer. Ergo is, unfortunately, a carrier that counterfeiters try to copy, so you must be wary when buying used. Amazon.com also carries Ergo carriers.
Disclaimer: I received an Ergo Baby Carrier Original for the purpose of this review. No other compensation was received. All opinions and experiences are my own. All pictures are taken by me and are property of The Babywearing Blog. Below is a link to my Amazon Affiliate. If you choose to click on it I may earn a percentage of your purchase.
The first-in-line design that made our name, now in it's third-generation, the ERGOBABY Original Carrier has evolved to make it more comfortable than ever. Made of durable cotton canvas with high-density padding and straps that adjust for the perfect mutual fit. It is available in a variety of popular colors and as with all ERGObaby carriers, it keeps baby safe, close, and comfortable while providing you freedom of movement. Special Features. Carrier body: 100% cotton canvas. Carrier lining: 100% cotton poplin. Carrier weight: 1. 52 pound / 690 grams. Sleeping Hood: Integrated, 100% cotton poplin with elastic edging and snap-to-strap attach. Supports baby's head while sleeping and protects from sun and wind. Adjusts in length with 5 snap levels for growth of baby. Shoulder straps: Padded with 1" high-density premium foam, expanding from 24" to 45". Waist strap: Padded with 1. 4" high-density EVA foam, expanding from 26" to 49". Chest strap: Sliding adjustment. Fill: 100% cotton batting in body of carrier to soften edges. Small zippered stuff pouch, doubles as Sleeping Hood storage. Large zippered storage pocket holds your wallet, keys, and mobile phone. Evenly-managed baby weight between parent's shoulders and hips for ultimate comfort. Ergonomic: Proper facing-in spread-squat seating position supports baby's hip, pelvis, and spinal development. Carry positions: 3 positions - front, back, and hip carry. Carrier fit: Adults from 5' to 6'5" body height. Usage range: Carries babies from infancy to maximum 45 pound. Accessory compatibility - infant inserts, backpacks, front pouches, teething pads, weather covers. Designed in Hawaii. Made in China. CPSIA compliant. JPMA safety certificated: Conforms to ASTM F2236 safety standards.